St Giles was built during the 17th Century, and is the permanent home to the Earls of Shaftesbury. However, the site is a bricolage of both 16th century and 15th century elements. During the 18th and 19th centuries, the estate thrived and visited by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1907. During the First World War, part of the house became a hospital for the wounded and then became a small girls school.
The most recent Earl of Shaftesbury Nicholas, has undertaken a large renovation since 2010 to which the beautiful house now remains in all its glory and retains plenty of its original character and history. The stylish renovation has won several awards.