History The Pilgrim of Brixham BM45 is a gaff-rigged, red-sailed fishing trawler originally constructed in 1895 by J W & A Uphams, one of Devon's most famous ship-building yards. Much of the town and county's economy depended on these red-sailed wooden ships. After serving 20 years as a fishing vessel in Brixham, she was moved on to Sweden, and spent the remainder of the 20th century carrying various cargo including stone, ice, timber, scrap iron, even granite reportedly for the Germans to make statues of Hitler. In 1999, now in a poor state, she plied her way back home to Brixham where, thanks to over £1m in funds raised by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the specially-formed Pilgrim Preservation Trust, she was vastly rebuilt and restored to her former glory in 2011. Today she serves as a charter vessel, runs tourist day trips to Falmouth and elsewhere, and of course hosts wedding receptions!