History The history of Slaugham Place goes back to the 1400s when there was an iron furnace at the site. In 1590, a house was built alongside it which unfortunately was neglected and mostly demolished in the 18th century. Luckily, Sir Alan Urwick (who worked for MI6 and the Foreign Office) bought the property in 1976 and worked to restore the Moat House and gardens to glory. The venue has been used for weddings since the late 1990s so that couples can enjoy the surroundings and the nearby River Ouse. Now, it is a popular and well-preserved wedding venue that caters for outdoor weddings.