History The name Shendish is an Anglicised corruption of the surname of the Norman nobleman Ralf de Chenduit; he sublet the manor farmhouse which used to stand on the site, presumably during Saxon times, from no less than William the Conqueror's brother! The farmhouse survived until 1853, when it was bought by Charles Longman who demolished it and ordered the construction of the current Shendish Manor. He vastly increased the estate lands to 500 acres in the next few years, peaking at 1300 at its most! It was in the ownership of the Longmans until the 1930s and was used as an army camp in WWI. Henry Longman started selling off a lot of the land in the 30s, and in 1936 the house and the last 90 acres of the estate were sold to John Dickinson Company. It became the Dickinson Guild of Sport, a leisure and recreational facility for that company's employees to use. It was eventually sold to the present owners in 1994, and was subsequently converted into the leading hotel, golf club and events venue it is today.