The estate has its origins around 400 years ago, when the third Earl of Bedford built a country house in the Manor of More's deer park. The edifice was frequently adapted and altered throughout the centuries; Charles II's illegitimate son had a brick house built over the foundations in 1670, and in 1720 the building was purchased from his wife and a larger mansion made of Portland stone was constructed over it. In the mid-1800s the owner of the park, Robert Grosvenor, purchased the manor and created the estate.
1923 saw the birth of the idea to create a golf course on the property. Designed by Harry Colt, the lush fairways and greens soon became one of the area's most renowned sporting facilities. In WWII the Armed Forces occupied the mansion and, in what is now called the Arnhem Room, the celebrated battle of Arnhem was planned. The room now houses war memorabilia from the period.
The estate reverted to private ownership in 1994, and works began on refurbishing and restoring the historical fabric. Moor Park Golf Club is proud to say that all of the early Georgian rooms have now been entirely reconditioned to their original appearance.