Missenden Abbey was founded in 1133 and was favoured by Henry VIII who visited on many occasions. The Abbey was left to Queen Elizabeth who granted it to the Earl of Leicester. In 1574, a house was constructed on the site of the dissolved monastery.
The Abbey has had many previous owners, amongst the famous were the Carringtons and the Abbey (now used as a home) stayed with their family right up to 1946.
The Abbey is now used as a wedding venue and conference centre and is part of Buckinghamshire University.