History Malmaison Cheltenham started life as the Glenlee Lodge, a private villa which was demolished in 1847 to enable Samuel Onley's construction of a new building. In 1880, the villa was expanded and stylistically aggrandised, which perfectly suited its transformation into a majestic Cheltenham hotel in 1900. During the last century the hotel has changed hands a number of times, operating first as a Savoy and then under Kandinsky, and has constantly adapted to Cheltenham's evolving society. The Swire group opened the hotel as The Montpellier Chapter in 2010, before it was finally Malmaison Cheltenham in 2016 under Frasers Hospitality. It still contains all the classical features of a Regency-style villa hotel, but now has some important modern adaptions and extensions, the most recent being The Crescent. Housing several new bedrooms, this reflects neo-Georgian architecture in a modern form, a nod to the hotel's mid-19th-century roots.