The townhouse has a long association with the Caley Family. The building was used as a successful dressmaking shop and they were awarded with an honour medal of warrant by Queen Charlotte. The business prospered but by the end of WW1 it declined dramatically.
The building was sold to the John Lewis partnership and in 1953 rebuilt the High Street frontage in approved Georgian style. In 2010 Macdonald Hotels opened the 120 bedrooms and is the latest addition to the portfolio.
The building is mainly new build, retaining many of the original features in the listed section of the building.