History This mid-Georgian house is now the family home of Lord Ivar Mountbatten, who is directly related to Queen Victoria and to many of Europe's heads of states and the last Tsar of Russia. Ivar's father was best man to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, when he married the future Queen Elizabeth in autumn 1947. The estate was owned by the Clarke family from 1628 to the early 1800s and the house was built between 1774 and 1779. An earlier Chapel on the estate was demolished in 1774, and was then replaced in 1809 by the current Gothic-style building. The house itself was severely damaged by a fire in the 1980s, but was lovingly restored by a team from English Heritage, who have managed to retain the original layout and principal rooms.