The revolutionary, invariably cutting-edge Watershed opened its doors to a curious public as far back as 1986, and was then known as ‘Britain’s First Media Centre’.
However, the building’s history goes back considerably further than this. Constructed in 1894, its original function was that of a warehouse – acting as temporary storage space for imported and exported goods in transit through the affluent port of Bristol.
Known rather unromantically in the later 20th century as ‘Transit Shed E’, the British Film Institute, JT Group and Bristol City Council together transformed the warehouse into The Watershed, as part of the redevelopment of the (then) dilapidated Waterfront.
After undergoing an extensive programme of refurbishment in 2005, The Watershed finally hosted its first wedding in August 2013, and has been going strong ever since.