About The Italian Garden was created by Mr Simpson in 1924. To enter, you first walk through the enchanting Grotto. A 'living tunnel' for years, hundreds of candles can be placed in little niches on the Grotto's walls, making an overwhelmingly atmospheric vestibule. The romantic garden itself exhibits a symmetrical and formal design, arranged around the central ornamental lake which features carved fountains, waterlilies and Koi carp. At either side of the lake are two statues, one of which depicts the bronze 'Wrestlers Of Herculaneum', and the other which portrays ornate Venetian bronze lanterns. These represent the garden's classical Italian style. Featured at the end of the garden is a domed Temple Of Bacchus with accompanying statue 'The Roman God Of Wine' sculpted in Carrera marble. Throughout the gardens are grass beds, which are littered with tulips in spring, and summer annuals by May. The gardens are a majestic and romantic setting for wedding-day celebrations, and various rooms and suites over three floors of The Italian Villa make full use of them, either opening out onto them directly or boasting impressive aspects from large windows.