History Dating back to 1866, this Victorian country house was originally built for James Richards, the Duke of Bedford's Mine Captain, responsible for extracting tin and copper from the Tamar Valley. In 1967 it was converted into a gourmet restaurant by the first British woman to be awarded a Michelin star, Sonia Stevenson. It has steadily gone from strength to strength; accommodation was added in 1985, and the Coach House extended in 2014. Today the hotel sits firmly on the foodie map, and has plenty of awards and accolades to its name. Just a glimpse of our awards; South West Wedding Awards 2016 - Gold Winner & Visit England national small hotel of the year 2015 - Silver Award.