History Burnham Yacht Club was founded in 1895 and it gained instant popularity, eventually leading to King George V granting Royal Patronage in 1927. RBYC's success is reflected in Olympic and International attainments, receiving gold medals in 1908 and in 1930, and achieving outstanding success in later tournaments. During WWII, normal club activity was suspended and it played a key role as the centre for HMS Matthew naval shore base at Burnham. The HMS Matthew was finally closed in 1946, and to commemorate, the St Matthew Cup was established, competed for with other local Burnham clubs in an annual tournament still held today, considered highly prestigious on the River Crouch. Normal club activity, both sailing and social, resumed after the war and it remains one of Essex's most prestigious yacht clubs.