History Pentillie Castle was built by Sir James Tillie, for Sir John Croyton, in 1698. Following Sir John's sudden death, Tillie married his widow and lived at Pentillie until his own passing. Tillie was interred in a mausoleum at Pentillie, and a statue of him still remains there today. The Croyton family have owned Pentillie for over 300 years, and the castle is now lovingly managed by the latest generation, Ted and Sarah. In 2008, they undertook a huge project to restore the castle to its former glory, keeping the influence of the surrounding countryside while modernising the inside by adding en-suite bathrooms. Today, the castle holds numerous weddings, civil ceremonies and events, all touched by the special wonder that is its position on the River Tamar.