History Previously known as Pennyhill Field, first mentioned on the Tithe Land Registry of 1609, the site is described as a Beacon, which was involved in signalling the sighting of the Spanish Armada in 1588. The Mansion House was built on Pennyhill Field in 1849, designed in the Gothic style of architecture then much in vogue. In World War One, the house was deployed as a 'rest house' for officers. It passed through many people's hands during the 20th century and opened as a hotel in 1972. It is currently owned by Exclusive Hotels, who transformed the venue into a world-class five red-star hotel, bursting with historic elegance and ambience.