History The Mountains estate was purchased by J H Johnson in 1827. However, he decided to demolish the existing farmhouse then occupying the land and replace it with a country house in 1866. The house was in the family for a century, and still exudes their history. Redwood trees are situated in areas of the garden, and these were reportedly brought home by Mr Johnson returning from Canada; each of his children were given a seed to plant. A three-light stained-glass window in Hildenborough’s church is a memorial to Mr Johnson’s eldest daughter who died in 1897. In 1927 the property was sold to Dr. Fraser, and twenty years later it opened as a doctor’s house and surgery. More recently it operated as a health and fitness centre in the 1990s, but that enterprise fell into bankruptcy, so Mountains was subsequently bought by a group of parents from Fosse Bank School in 2003.