History The Marine Theatre in its prime coastal location has been used for a multitude of social and public events, the chosen venue for bazaars, elections and grand dinners during its history. It was opened as seawater baths in 1806; water was pumped up from the beach below for people to bathe in. The first of its kind in Lyme Regis, it quickly became established as a popular social hub for visitors and locals alike. The water was deemed to have 'Extraordinary Healing Powers' and legendarily cured people's ailments. However, the baths eventually fell into disuse and in 1894, they reopened as the Drill Hall, funded by a local benefactor. In 1903, it featured Sergeant Britton and a training gun. After WWI, it became the Drill Hall Theatre and, in the 1930s, the Marine Cinema. The cinema served as an American Forces Canteen in WWII and hosted morale-boosting appearances from James Cagney and Joe Louis. In 1960 it was purchased by Lyme Regis Town Council, and has featured performances from The Troggs and Status Quo, amongst other luminaries from the world of popular music. Since 2003, it has been run by the Lyme Arts Community Trust.