Mentioned in the Domesday Book as Royal Manor, the property known as Lew House was renamed Lewtrenchard Manor when the Trenchards took it over in 1327. Living here for just a short period of time, they nevertheless bequeathed its surviving name.
Lewtrenchard Manor can narrate a convoluted, intricate history. It was owned by several families throughout the centuries, each of which has experienced a succession of individual tales and scandals connected with the property. The surviving building was largely reconstructed during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, although some parts of it date back as far as the early 1600s.
It remained a private home until 1949, when it became a hotel, as it is today, as well as being the residence of the Murray family.