The original Leigh Court was a Tudor mansion built by Sir George Norton of Bristol in 1558. It was demolished around 1812 after the estate, compromising of some 2500 acres, was sold to Sir Philip John Miles in 1811 who rebuilt the house in the regency period.
The Palladian house has a Greek Revival interior which has largely survived the various uses of the building. The grounds were originally landscaped by Humphrey Repton, part of which is now within the Leigh Woods National Nature Reserve. An organic farm has also been established based on the walled garden.
Romantic, isolated, serene, grandiose and beautiful, this historic house presents the perfect canvas on which to paint weddings of a truly magnificent stature. The neo-Classical exterior of the house is designed in the Palladian style and constructed of Bath Stone, giving it the distinctive light honey-yellow tone of the buildings of that city.
As with many historic mansions, the interior now presents a hybrid of various styles, constructed, altered and added to in different eras. However, on the whole, the inside of this awe-inspiring building is principally in the Greek Revival fashion, and its sheer aesthetic beauty may well leave you short of breath.