History The house dates from the late 17th century but there is evidence of a medieval precursor upon the same site, and the chapel was constructed in the 12th or 13th century. Originally commissioned by Charles II, the house was first purchased by the wealthy Sir Phillip Meadows in 1711. Since then, it was passed on through some of England's wealthiest nobility during the 18th and 19th centuries. Elizabeth Chudleigh, Maid of Honour to the Princess of Wales, secretly married Augustus Hervey (who would become 3rd Earl of Bristol) in the chapel. The marriage was undisclosed to preserve her courtly status, and although weddings nowadays at Lainston probably won't need the same degree of intrigue or concealment, echoes of their passion and romance remain today.