History Husband-and-wife team and business proprietors Greg and Elaine have enjoyed a longtime connection with this beautiful venue. Elaine herself grew up at Gants Mill, so it was appropriate that she and Greg actually hosted their own wedding reception here. Greg readily plays the role of chief wedding coordinator at Gants Mill, and being a one-time bridegroom at the venue, he certainly knows how to make the most of this 18th-century, Grade II*-listed building. Gants Mill was originally constructed in 1290, and was first owned by John le Gaunt, whose name is still celebrated in the mill's title today. Throughout its working life, this watermill's primary purpose was initially as a fulling mill, performing a vital part in the creation of high-quality cloth and meanwhile boosting the local wool industry. In more recent centuries, it has been used to mill various types of grain into flour and animal feeds, and at one stage functioned briefly as a silk mill. The mechanisms of the mill are still completely working, and Gants Mill frequently sets them in motion in order to demonstrate how this ancient building springs to life once again. They have a modern, water-powered turbine able to power 10 homes!