History The estate originally belonged to the Abbess of Wimborne and dates back to the 8th century. It became the Deanery in the 11th century. At the Dissolution of the Chantries, it was given by Edward VI to John Hanham, and has stayed in his family ever since. The present early Georgian house was built around the Saxon Hall in 1725; little survives of the medieval structures. Nowadays the grounds contain a marquee used as a wedding venue, vintage lifestyle shop, holiday cottages and an organic produce farm.