Granted to the Knights Templar in 1136, the land became one of the earliest Templar estates in England. In the 13th century two splendid timber-framed barns were erected to store wheat and barley - reputed to be among the finest in Europe - that are still standing today. The Wheat Barn is the earliest surviving timber barn in the world. In the Tudor period, more farm buildings were constructed, including The Granary (the largest in Essex) and a mansion, demolished in the 18th century. The outbuildings and the Tudor herb gardens (refurbished by Essex County Council to ensure their preservation) are still accessible for tourists to visit.