History Burhill Golf Club has an intriguing history. The original mansion was constructed in 1726 as a private residence, but was destroyed in a fire in 1861. The house was immediately rebuilt and provided a home for various wealthy local residents, including the Duchess of Wellington. Its unsuccessful auction in 1905 saw its subsequent re-establishment as a golf course in 1907. In World War Two it was commandeered by the Ministry of Aircraft Production, and Sir Barnes Wallis used the house as a base while developing his famous 'bouncing bomb'.